
Day 2. Well actually Day 3, but I couldn’t get onto the net yesterday to blog. So here’s a quick roundup.Accosted the wife of one of the other judges yesterday at breakfast and before she could say “I’d rather eat my own liver” I’d planned for us to meet up and explore some of Cannes together. Our first stop was an 11th century watchtower up on a hill with an eclectic museum next to it. It had a fascinating history. I can’t remember it of course but I recommend Wikipedia. Anyway the view from the tower, once you climbed the 3.2 billion stairs, was spectacular up and down the coast. Which is why my camera chose this precise moment to run out of battery. I’ll describe it instead: blue sea, yachts, some buildings, some hills. There you go.
Next Reiko, my reluctant companion, and I came back down the hill for a lovely pizza lunch. Not Pizza Hut sadly, but still very good, especially with a couple of glasses of the house wine. It’s great being in a place where the house wine is always French. Having refueled we set off to explore the shops off the Cannes beach road. Not the front row of expensive designers – I’m scared to even look in the windows in case it’s automatically charged to my credit card – but the cheaper shops behind them. Reiko needed to find a dress for the Festival closing party and I needed to frustrate some shoe salespeople with my stubby little child-feet.
Both missions accomplished it was back to the hotel for a little nap before Ryan came back from judging. In the evening we stood on our balcony and watched a fashion show in the grounds of the next hotel, fancy sports cars lined up outside. The announcements were made in French and Russian, which tells you where a lot of the money is in Cannes. We ended the day at the hotel’s restaurant, a nice deck facing the sea. The food was delicious the wine more-ish and the people watching excellent.
Here are some pics I've taken so far.
No comments:
Post a Comment